Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What's going on with Lenny Kravitz?

I've been a big fan of Lenny Kravitz for many years. I really like the loud blues/funk sound that permeates his music.

Last Friday I happened to be watching Late Night with David Letterman. I was going to shut it off, until I heard Dave mention that Lenny Kravitz was the musical guest. So, I forced myself to stay up so I catch Lenny's set.

I had heard some of the buzz surrounding LK's newest album, "It's Time For a Love Revolution." I hadn't previously heard any cuts from the Album, in fact, it just hit the stores February 5th. So, as Letterman was drawing to close, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat saying, "C'mon Dave, get on with it." Finally, the moment I had been anticipating that entire hour had arrived. Dave introduced LK, and out he and his band came with his first single from the new CD, entitled "Bring it On." And boy did they. At the end of LK's performance, Dave came over to greet him saying, "Wow! That was something." It was all of that and more. For four minutes my eyes and ears were tuned into Lenny Kravitz and his band bringing it on.

As I was listening to the lyrics, all of a sudden, it hit me. He's singing about Jesus, and fighting his demons, and carrying his sword--wait a minute--Lenny Kravitz singing gospel music? It can't be.

First thing Monday morning after dropping the kids of at school, I hightailed it over to Target and quickly made my way to the entertainment section; and there it was, LK's latest release. I quickly snatched one up, proceeded to the check out line, paid for my purchase, and exited the store. As soon as got into my car, I ripped open the CD packaging, popped in the CD, and sat there in Target's parking lot jamming with Lenny and his band. Much to my surprise, not only is "Bring it on" a gospel song, but just about every cut on the CD has a blues/gospel flavor to it.

Get it! Listen to it! Share it with your teen group.