Saturday, February 9, 2008

every day missionaries

I like to refer to my current position and place in life as that of an "every day missionary." I used to think it was my calling in life to be a professional minister, until our sovereign Lord brought me back to reality. I went to seminary and learned all of the stuff that makes a good minister. Then it came time to apply what I had learned in the classroom. I found a big gap that exists between classroom theology and real life on the streets. I've spent the past few years learning from God how to stand in that gap, as Jesus stood in the gap that existed between me and God.

What God has been convicting me of is the need to be myself, the way He created me to be, and then allow Him to use me for the purpose He created me for. I’m just an ordinary guy living the extraordinary life Jesus calls all of us to.

Anyone who is a follower of Christ is in ministry. As we live our lives amongst our family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and other acquaintances, The Holy Spirit uses us to draw them to Christ. We all have a ministry and a mission field that God has called us to. As we follow Christ and grow in Him, He will use us in ways we can't even imagine. So, if you find yourself thinking, “I’m not a pastor, church planter, or missionary, so therefore, I’m not really a minister,” think again.

The body of Christ needs all of its members in order to be fully functional. If you call yourself a follower of Christ; aka, Christian, then you are a minister. A minister is a servant; one who has surrendered his life to the living God so He may be Lord of their lives. That is all that is required to be a servant (minister) of Christ.