Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Daily Summit with the Living God: overwhelmed by sin and temptation

Today in my daily devotions I came to Psalm 69. As I was reading through this Psalm I saw several things that jumped out at me. As always I had to ask God, "How does this apply to my life as I continue in my daily summit with the living, triune God?"

Have you ever had one of those moments when it seems like the whole world is crashing down on you? It seems like everywhere you turn, danger lurks around the corner. There is an intense battle raging all around us, like swarming floodwaters, seeking to pull us under.

Here in Psalm 69, David seems to be having one of those days. No matter how hard he tries, nothing seems to turn out right, and everyone is out to get him. There are times in our lives when we can become overwhelmed by temptation and sin. The devil is our real enemy who uses whatever he can to trip us up and hold us down. However, like David, we can call upon God who will save us by His mighty power.

1 Corinthians 10:13 says,

The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.(1 Cor.10:13) NLT