Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Better than Okay!

I met up with an old friend today; a man named Rick, whom I had the privilege of praying with about five years ago while serving on the men's ministry staff at City Mission of Schenectady. He had moved, recently, from Schenectady to Troy.

In the time since I moved back to Troy in the summer of 2006, I had seen him once or twice in downtown Troy, while driving by the bus stop where he was waiting for his bus. However, this was the first time I was able to chat with him. It was good to see and talk with him and to hear how God is working in his life.

He shared with me that in the past five years since He prayed and invited Christ into His life, "Things have been going great, I've been able to re-connect with my ex-wife and was allowed to see my 14 year old daughter, whom I hadn't seen since she was a baby." He was ecstatic as he went on to tell me about his new job and all of the things that have been happening in his life. As our conversation came to a close he said to me, "For the first time in my life, I can honestly say that I'm better than okay."
As we parted ways this evening, I was thinking about Rick as I was driving home. I had to thank God for a nice reminder that our efforts do bear fruit. While I had thought about Rick a few times during the five years since I last saw him, it was great to hear that he is "better than okay."

I am hoping the next time someone asks me how my life is going I can share Rick's reply as honestly and wholeheartedly as he shared with me this evening.

How am I doing? I'm better than okay, because Jesus has given me His hope, His strength, and His peace. Does it get any better than that on this side of eternity?

How are you doing?