Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What if it is the real Peyton Manning in my facebook friends file?

What if Peyton responds to my message, informing me that it really is him?

Well, for starters, I'd be more than a little excited, because for the past decade Brett Favre has held my vote for the NFL's #1 quarterback. The closest I've ever gotten to Green Bay's #4 is from the front row of TV land. I was really rooting for the Packers to go all the way this year; that is, until Peyton's little brother, Eli, went and spoiled that dream for me.

I might be persuaded to become a big Colts fan, if it really is Peyton Manning in my friends file. It just might be. Yah, it would be cool to hang out with Peyton on facebook. But after awhile he would blend in with the rest of my facebook friends, including a few who don't have posted pictures, just a big question mark instead.

Who is the most famous person in your facebook friends file?

I suppose if I ever met Peyton Manning in person it would be like bumping into Bill Hybels in the men's room at First Baptist Church of Orlando at last year's Exponential National New Church Conference. That really happened to me. I wasn't really sure it was Bill Hybels until he was introduced on the main stage ten minutes later. There I was doing what men usually do when they visit the men's room. All of a sudden a man walked up to the urinal next to the one I was at. "Hey, how's it going for you?" he asked. "Oh, pretty good" I responded. Then, as we were exiting the men's room he said to me, "After you." And I walked out of the men's room in front of him. Only after I found my way to my seat did it dawn on me that I had just been talking to thee Bill Hybels, aka, Willow Creek Bill Hybels in FBC Orlando's men's room.

I realized that Bill Hybels is just a regular guy like me; I mean, sure he founded one of the biggest churches in the US, and he's written some great books, but he puts his pants on one leg at a time like I do, and just like Peyton Manning does.