Friday, July 18, 2008

Success in Serving

When I came back to this neighborhood nearly three years ago I knew I had my work cut out for me. But I also knew that God had sent me, and because of that I have been able to endure without giving up. There have been times when I have questioned God as to why I am here, but every Sunday, and at various times through out the week, when I see the kids playing in the neighborhood I am reminded of my purpose and mission. If we only managed to reach a handful of these kids then we will have accomplished much. Reaching the parents and guardians of these wonderful kids is also a priority in this ministry endeavor.

Only three days into this feed a kid ministry and we are already seeing success. I don't count success in the number of people who show up, although there were many who have come these past three days. Our purpose is not just to feed hungry children. As noble of an effort as that may be, our real mission is to teach these kids and their families that God loves them and so do we. We want to be their friends. We want to help them with whatever problems they may be dealing with. This is what a community does as each of us takes the time to look out for those who live nearby us. I truly believe that this community will change for the better as we invest our time and our resources into the lives of the young people who live here, and do what we can to make their neighborhood safe and free from fear and violence, including the removal of hand guns and other weapons from the streets, but also to instill in them some lasting values that will follow them throughout their lives. But above all of this, to make Christ known to them as we lift Him up. It is through Jesus Christ that the lives of people will truly change

The seeds that we have been planting for nearly three years are beginning to break through this once fallow ground. We are thankful to God for calling us to this great commission work and for His provision as He has supplied our every need and has squashed the efforts of anyone who would want to prevent us from serving our community and letting these people know that God loves them and that He has a plan and purpose for their lives.

I am so very thankful that God has formed this new partnership in the gospel as Pastor Willie D. Bacote and I have come together. It is my prayer that through this partnership the hand of God will move through our community and bring some much needed healing and restoration.

Please continue to pray for our ongoing efforts in reaching our community for Christ and His kingdom