Saturday, September 13, 2008

Coming of Age

At the age of 45 I'm starting to get the point that God did not create us to be cookie cutter Christians, but created each of us uniquely. I'm on that part of this journey where I'm learning to be the me God created me to be. I think that is what God wants to do in each of our lives. he has a specific plan for me that only I can fulfill. As Mark Batterson writes and speaks about, the stuff that happened in my life before I came into a personal relationship with God matters. Reminds me of Joseph in the book of Genesis; all of the things that seemed to happen to him by chance or by the hand of others intending harm and God used it all for Joseph's good. All of that stuff God used to prepare and refine Joseph, and so He uses the seemingly disconnected events of our lives to connect us to His plan.

The Pod Coffee House is my entry into the real world. The idea is to connect w/people in every day life outside of the four walls of the church building. We tried doing a coffee house at our church but were drawing mostly churched people. having a background in restaurant management and an itch to move outside of the box of "church as usual" I stepped out in faith, invested my own$$$ and opened a full fledge, non-franchised, independent, for-profit coffee house. We don't hide the fact that we are a Christ-centered coffee house, but neither do we broadcast it. No programs, agendas, committees, board of trustees; just a guy who loves God, great company and decent cup o' joe and wants to share that w/others. Where else will we meet pedestrians on the crossroads of life?