Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thank You for Your mercy

I was reading through Psalm 118 this morning in my devotions and thinking about it most of the day. I was reminded afresh of God's immeasurable, inexhaustible mercy; especially that which He sends my way. Someone once defined God's mercy as "God's loving act of withholding what we truly deserve."

When I think of how many times a day I fall short of God's glory, how many times I commit idolatry, turning my back on Him in favor of my own will and fleshly desires, I am left wondering "Why?"

Why does He continue to use me? Why doesn't He just give me what I truly deserve?

My Answer? I don't know why. I do know it is because of His great love for me and, as the Psalmist declares,

1 Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever. (Psam 118:1)

So, today I am learning to be more thankful to God's merciful act of withholding what I truly deserve and, in His grace, extending to me what I don't deserve