Monday, June 22, 2009

My take on the book of Acts: Origin of a new species

At the CORE Church of Troy we have embarked on a study and sermon series through the book of Acts. I have challenged myself to read through Acts anew, praying for fresh insight. I've read this book many times, in several Bible translations, yet there is so much more to be explored and known. As I was thinking of what to title this series, here are some of the ideas that came to mind
  1. Church 101
  2. The Church: a new beginning
  3. Genesis of the Church
  4. Birth of the Church
  5. The Christian movement begins
  6. The seed of the gospel spreads
  7. Apostolic Adventures
  8. Origins of a new species

It is entry #8 in my list above that resonates with me the most. The Church, aka the body of Christ, fits the definition of "species" (a class of individuals having common attributes and designated by a common name) whose origin is in Christ's finished work on the cross; through His death and resurrection a new species had been born; therefore, the book of Acts can rightly be called "Origin of a new species."

That's the title I've chosen to go with.

What do you think?